Demo file treated as a threat by Norton AV

Any issues pertaining to the Clones website

Demo file treated as a threat by Norton AV

Postby Moos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:18 am

Hello,

FYI. The 1.32 demo file is classified by Norton as 'dangerous'and is therefore removed from my system immediately upon download. I assume I will be able to proceed by closing down Norton Antivirus during the download and installation, but it does not give me (and most likely also other potential customers) a good feeling...

Norton classifies the file as a WS.repution.1 file (see description below)

Behavior
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

Cheers,
Moos
Moos
Clones Newbie

Re: Demo file treated as a threat by Norton AV

Postby rt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info. Clones makes internet connections as it starts up to check for new versions, news, etc. It also creates folders to store your profile, level previews, etc. This may be why Norton or other Anti-Virus software using a preventative heuristic may classify Clones in such a way. Did you download the Steam demo or the non-Steam demo?

If there is an option in Norton to report that Clones is "Trusted" please do so to add to the community consensus :) Send out a good vibe!
rt
Developer

Postby Moos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:37 am

Sorry for the delay in my response. I changed the setting of NAV to trust the file, and was able to download without problems. I am going to play with it tonight and if the game indeed is as much fun to play as described by others I will buy it tonight as well.

Cheers,
Moos
Moos
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

Great! Let us know what you think after trying it out. The multiplayer can be fun (or too intense) so try to convince a friend to try it out with you either on LAN or over the net, although you may need to configure port forwarding. If you let me know when you'll be playing online i can join as well and show you the tricks :)
rt
Developer

Return to Website Help