Montreal International Game Summit thoughts

General Clones Discussion

Montreal International Game Summit thoughts

Postby soundofsilence75 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

Hey everyone,

I recently attended the Montreal International Game Summit (MIGS) where Clones was represented and I was lucky enough to get a chance to try out the game.

Having grown up enjoying both the strategical gameplay and undeniable charm of Lemmings, the Clones exposition quickly drew my attention. At first it appeared to be a simple :tight: of Lemmings with updated graphics. Much to my surprise and delight, I discovered that it was so much more.

Immediately evident was the care that was put into the multiplayer game mode. I only had the opportunity to play 1 vs. 1, but the competition was truly fierce; I found myself swearing and hollering as my opponent destroyed the bridge which I had so masterfully planned and carefully constructed. Not one to be outdone, I quickly drilled a hole, literally, in my enemy's path and exacted my revenge on his dastardly clones . I was really getting into it.

Managing your own clones to make sure they are actually reaching their goal while simultaneously sabotaging your opponent is a careful balancing act. And I love every second of it. I can't begin to imagine how hectically fun playing with up to eight players can become.

I can really see this game appealing to a broad audience. Much like one of my all time favorite games, Worms 2, the game offers something to everyone. The charm, lack of violence, and playful art style of the Clones will no doubt attract younger players (and subsequently their parents) while the immediately recognizable Lemmingsesque gameplay will draw in older folks. Similarly, I imagine the sheer joy of screwing with a friend's plans breeding casual social matches between less invested players while more hardcore fans will be able to memorize hotkeys and master the subtle intricacies of the game to compete in the ladder system (one reason I love Worms).

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to try out the single player mode but the inclusion of things like various boss battles and a character players can directly control (like Mario) promises greatness.

I proudly wear my Clones shirt as I impatiently await the release of this innovative game.

-Roy
soundofsilence75
Clones Newbie

Re: Montreal International Game Summit thoughts

Postby rt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:04 pm

soundofsilence75 wrote:I proudly wear my Clones shirt as I impatiently await the release of this innovative game.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of Clones. I really enjoyed watching your multiplayer matches and studying the reactions of both combatants and the crowd to try and find a way to make the gaming experience even better. One thing i learned was that there needs to be a more obvious "running out of blocks" indicator for the Molder morph. Normally the audio would cue you but in that environment (and sans headphones) i could see it was an issue.
It's really satisfying to find that other people enjoy the thing that we've been working on for so long. There have been a lot of small tweaks to the gameplay during development and it would seem that it was worth the attention to detail. We intend to release the multiplayer demo in a month so check back around that time! I'm looking forward to having some new opponents to play against! 8-)
rt
Developer

Return to Clones Discussion