Newsletter

Any issues pertaining to the Clones website

Newsletter

Postby citlee » Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 am

Hello,

During registration (which is now working again, the CAPTCHA was broken last week) I am forced to sign up for an unwanted newsletter. How do I now unsubscribe? Under My Profile > Edit, the My Newsletters page points to http://clonesgame.com/user/4860/edit/phplist which gives a "page not found" error.

Also, it would be nice if the Steam page mentioned that the game is unplayable without signing up to the website.

Thanks.
citlee
Clones Newbie

Re: Newsletter

Postby rt » Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 am

citlee wrote:it would be nice if the Steam page mentioned that the game is unplayable without signing up to the website.

The game is not unplayable without a ClonesGame.com account, please elaborate. The account is just to keep track of your stats, allow you to upload packages, post in the forums, and receive a newsletter. The newsletter email has an "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom, we have not sent one out in a while. We'll check the link you posted, thanks.
rt
Developer

Postby tom » Thu May 12, 2011 1:01 pm

citlee wrote: Under My Profile > Edit, the My Newsletters page points to http://clonesgame.com/user/4860/edit/phplist which gives a "page not found" error.

This problem has been fixed. It was a bug.
tom
Developer

Postby citlee » Fri May 13, 2011 11:14 am

rt wrote:The game is not unplayable without a ClonesGame.com account, please elaborate. The account is just to keep track of your stats, allow you to upload packages, post in the forums, and receive a newsletter. The newsletter email has an "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom, we have not sent one out in a while. We'll check the link you posted, thanks.

Perhaps it's me being stupid then, but after launching the game in Steam, I am prompted for a login (or to register for an account), with the only option being "OK" once completing the fields, or "Quit" in the bottom left of the dialog.

Of course now that I have an account, it isn't prompting me for these details :) and selecting a <New> profile gives a Cancel option rather than quit, but it was frustrating last week to be unable to register (due to the CAPTCHA simply not being present), and thus unable to play the game! Though like I said, perhaps I was missing something, but I didn't see any way to get past that dialog without entering valid details.
citlee
Clones Newbie

Postby citlee » Fri May 13, 2011 11:17 am

tom wrote:This problem has been fixed. It was a bug.

Nifty, that page no longer returns an error. Thanks for fixing it!

However, if I hit the "Unsubscribe" link, which takes me to http://clonesgame.com/user/4860/phplist ... e/3?token=<removed>, I simply get an empty page.
citlee
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 am

citlee wrote:and thus unable to play the game! Though like I said, perhaps I was missing something, but I didn't see any way to get past that dialog without entering valid details

You should be able to enter any username you want at that screen and continue. It does not enforce that the account actually exists on our website. Did you try moving forward after entering some username? If you were prevented please let us know what the error message was or what happened when you tried. Thanks.

You can simulate a fresh install by deleting the following file:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Settings\global_config.xml
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Settings\global_config.xml

It will pop up the new profile menu when the game starts, but once you get past it you can choose your old profile from the options menu, no information will be lost.
rt
Developer

Postby tom » Fri May 13, 2011 1:47 pm

citlee wrote:However, if I hit the "Unsubscribe" link, which takes me to http://clonesgame.com/user/4860/phplist ... e/3?token=<removed>, I simply get an empty page.

You are right again! Fixed that bug too.
tom
Developer

Postby CCX » Fri May 13, 2011 3:26 pm

rt wrote:
citlee wrote:and thus unable to play the game! Though like I said, perhaps I was missing something, but I didn't see any way to get past that dialog without entering valid details

You should be able to enter any username you want at that screen and continue. It does not enforce that the account actually exists on our website.

Perhaps that dialog should be redesigned a little to avoid the negative perception that you have to sign up on the website to continue? Maybe you can add a "No Thanks" or "Cancel" button on that dialog. If clicked on, it will pop up a new dialog that just ask the user to enter a name for their user profile, and with that information the game should be able to continue on.
CCX
Clones Junior

Return to Website Help