Its kind of annoying to have to login to download packages

Any issues pertaining to the Clones website

Its kind of annoying to have to login to download packages

Postby cpunks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 pm

You should really make them available to download even if you aren't logged in, it probably doesn't seem like a big deal but it probably turns away potential downloads by people that are lazy. I know it took me awhile before I decided to finally just register so I could download some maps.

Plus theres no warning telling you, that you need to register to dwonload the map. The first time i saw the ACCESS DENIED error I figured it was just a minor website problem, it wasn't until i finally decided to just register like above that I tried to download a map again.

It says "login to post comments" but it doesn't say anything about having to login to download the map.
cpunks
Clones Newbie

Re: Its kind of annoying to have to login to download packag

Postby rt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 pm

cpunks wrote:Plus theres no warning telling you, that you need to register to dwonload the map. The first time i saw the ACCESS DENIED error I figured it was just a minor website problem, it wasn't until i finally decided to just register like above that I tried to download a map again.

Good point! I'm not sure about allowing package download without being registered.. but we should definitely have a better indication that you currently need to be registered and logged in to download. Thanks!
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Is there any gain in restricting access?

Bandwith overload? Account farming? All these can't be issues IMHO, since the demo can be downloaded without a login...

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby cpunks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I can see having to register to upload maps but to download I just don't see a point, how many sites can you think of that require you to register to download stuff?
cpunks
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 pm

From our point of view we want people to register to increase our membership and potential audience for a newsletter, but we also want to maximize package downloads... we can temporarily allow anonymous users to download packs and see if there is any change in the download rate. We'll try to make this change before releasing the next Jam Pack.
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Anonymous users can now download packages. Hope to have the Jam Pack out today or tomorrow.
rt
Developer

Return to Website Help