Recording videos directly from Clones

Share you winning strategy (or accidental blunder) with others

Recording videos directly from Clones

Postby tom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 am

One of the features of Clones is the ability to capture/record a video (with sound effects) of the game directly from the game itself which is really useful for creating video trailers (for us), but also for anyone to create a video of their favorite multiplayer matches and share them with friends. The video is recorded to an avi file using DivX and mp3 codecs (as long as they are installed on the computer). On my work laptop (Intel Duo Core 2.2GHz), the recording is done at nearly full game speed at 30fps at 720p resolution (1280x720). On slower computers, it'll take longer but the final video quality will be not be compromised (unless you want to record at a lower resolution).

This feature is currently not enabled in the demo, but it will most likely be included in the next (1.03) patch. Once this feature is available, then we'll post a detailed 'How to' to install the proper codecs and record your own videos 8-)
tom
Developer

Re: Recording videos directly from Clones

Postby NovaClaft » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

1.03? Release the game already! I'm dying for it :P
NovaClaft
Clones Player

Postby tom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:43 pm

I've posted instructions how to setup your computer to enable video recording. Obviously the faster your computer, the better capture performance you will get. Duo core is recommended, but optional.
tom
Developer

Postby NovaClaft » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 am

We're using VirtualDub to compress the video, so that means we can use other codecs than DivX as well. ffdshow is what I use(which is in turn a large group of codecs merged in one).
NovaClaft
Clones Player

Postby tom » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:02 am

If you have any other codecs that you feel should be supported, post them here (along with a link to where it can be downloaded). The codec should be compatible with VFW (video for windows) - if it shows up in VirtualDub, then it'll work in Clones. I like the DivX codec because it supports multiple core cpus, so performance is maximized.
tom
Developer

Postby Iggy AE 81206 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Going to have to try this feature. I have a Quad-Core system... so I should be able to record a demo before the action actually happens. :P
Iggy AE 81206
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:09 pm

This feature is how we created the "Clones Epic Battle" YouTube video. After the match was over we played it back in the Clones Player (in the Extras menu off the main menu) and enabled video recording mode.
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Found more Clones videos on YouTube, someone must be using the video feature :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9evd5ihFsDA
rt
Developer

Return to Recorded Games