Updating Packages

Help using the built in level editor to create your own levels

Updating Packages

Postby rt » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 am

If you want to update a package that you've uploaded then simply create a new package with the same levels and upload! The website will detect that the old package is a duplicate of the new one and update it.

For a package to be detected as an update to an existing package the following must be true:
- Both packages must be uploaded by the same user.
- The number of levels in each package must be the same.
- The filenames of the levels in the new package must match the filenames of the levels in the old package.

Some users might want to create backups of different versions of their levels. Follow these steps to ensure that your level will be detected as an update when uploaded:
- From the editor level selection screen open your level.
- Click the "Generate" button on the "Level Settings" window in the editor, a new filename is created.
- Update your level title to reflect the version. e.g. "Beach v1". This is just so that you can differentiate this old version from the current version on the editor level selection screen.
- Save your level.
- Quit back to the editor level selection screen and open the original level. Do NOT open the one you just saved e.g. "Beach v1" since it now has a different filename.
- Tweak the level and when you have achieved perfection create a package and upload to the website. This level will have the same filename as the previous upload and so will be detected as an update!
rt
Developer

Re: Updating Packages

Postby CCX » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:30 pm

rt wrote:For a package to be detected as an update to an existing package the following must be true:
- The number of levels in each package must be the same.

Oh, so adding a new level to a package will make it a new package on the website as opposed to replacing the existing one?
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:57 am

CCX wrote:Oh, so adding a new level to a package will make it a new package on the website as opposed to replacing the existing one?

Example: You create and upload a package with level A. Then you create level B and modify level A and create and upload a new package with A and B.
Result: There will be two packages on the website, however level A from the first package will be updated to match the second package.

Levels are always updated if the filename is the same, regardless of which package they are in, but packages are only detected as an update to an existing package if they contain the same number of levels with the same filenames.
rt
Developer

Postby Th1rt3en » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Hmmmm, so I read this after I posted my level with a new-ish name.... anyway I can get the old one deleted?

Th1rt3en
13-Blaine
Th1rt3en
Clones Player

Postby rt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:13 pm

Th1rt3en wrote:Hmmmm, so I read this after I posted my level with a new-ish name.... anyway I can get the old one deleted?

Done. We are going to allow users to delete their own packages and add levels to existing packages.
rt
Developer

Postby NovaClaft » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Aye, it's kind of you moderators/developers to delete our packages for us when we make this mistake, but an option to do it ourselves would be most welcome.

-Mikau
NovaClaft
Clones Player

Postby Th1rt3en » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm

NovaClaft wrote:.... an option to do it ourselves would be most welcome.

I concur, let me clean up my own junk. :P

Th1rt3en
13-Blaine
Th1rt3en
Clones Player

Return to Level Editor Help