Inability to edit core multiplayer levels.

Help using the built in level editor to create your own levels

Inability to edit core multiplayer levels.

Postby minimac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm

On the level editor there is a list of single player levels which you can modify if you complete it, but I can't find a way to edit the multi-player levels included in the game. If it was possible, I would be thinking of swapping the exits round in the Octogame level to try and make it more competitive. Is there a way to copy and modify those kind of levels?
I use function keys for each morph. It is much easier for me doing it this way.
minimac
Clones Player

Re: Inability to edit core multiplayer levels.

Postby rt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Not at the moment. We didn't include the core multiplayer levels as unlockables, but if there is enough demand we might release them. It's not too difficult to make multiplayer levels since you only have to create half the level and flip it, if it's 2 player. For Octogame you only need to create 1/8 of the level and then mirror/flip/flop to generate the rest :)
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Speaking of that Octogame level, it seems that the antigrav traps don't really add anything to the gameplay. I'm thinking of removing or replacing them in the next version, or updating them so that they work together to allow you to actually use them as a viable alternate path.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Yes, alternate routes are good. If you can tweak their distribution/alignments, go right ahead.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby minimac » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:39 am

Well, I still like the gravity pads. It can add flavour for those who drill though the circle and get in the wrong exit. (e.g. Yellow drills through, falls, hits the pad and walks in the green exit and so on.)

rt wrote:We didn't include the core multiplayer levels as unlockables, but if there is enough demand we might release them.

Well, there might be not enough demand anyway. I've just built an 8-player level using the editor yesterday. :) Had to do a bit of maths to get the pixels for the trapdoors in the right location, but I'm really proud of what I've done and I'll soon be sharing this online.
I use function keys for each morph. It is much easier for me doing it this way.
minimac
Clones Player

Postby tom » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:43 am

minimac wrote:I've just built an 8-player level using the editor yesterday. :) Had to do a bit of maths to get the pixels for the trapdoors in the right location, but I'm really proud of what I've done and I'll soon be sharing this online.

If you host your new custom level, anyone with the full game can join and play your custom level (but this custom level isn't saved to their computer). If you want others to have a copy of it, then you need to upload it to the website as part of a package (or just email them the level file).

BTW, when creating symmetrical levels in the editor, you don't have to do any math to get the objects in the right spot. Remember, Clones was designed with multiplayer in mind, so there is built in functionality to do mirroring. In the editor, press F1 to bring up help and goto the Object Manipulation Help->Mirror and Object Manipulation Help->Copy tabs for all the shortcut keys needed to make symmetrical levels. Usually, you only need to design half (or a quarter) of the level, then mirror it on the other half.

Here's a tip: If you want to quickly make some good looking multiplayer levels, try opening up one of the singleplayer levels, delete half the level, then mirror the other half, tweak the level a bit, and your done!
tom
Developer

Postby rt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 pm

minimac wrote:Had to do a bit of maths to get the pixels for the trapdoors in the right location, but I'm really proud of what I've done and I'll soon be sharing this online.

Awesome! You can use CTRL-J and CTRL-K to copy-mirror about the y=x and y=-x lines, and CTRL-H and CTRL-V to copy-mirror about the x-axis and y-axis. These really help a lot when creating symmetrical multiplayer levels.

I've updated Octogame so that the antigrav will flip any clone to the gravity of the exit that it's next to. This allows a ceiling path for each group as well as an easy way to sabotage reverse-gravity groups (relative to your own). We also expanded the level bounds a bit and added swap traps on the outside surface. Watch for it in tomorrow's update! 8-)
rt
Developer

Return to Level Editor Help