Steam Cloud Problem

Help installing Clones onto your gaming machine

Steam Cloud Problem

Postby FunkyTable » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm

I am having difficulty getting Steam to download the proper profile information onto my windows 7 laptop. I've tried deleting everything and reinstalling and that didn't work. Any tips?
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Re: Steam Cloud Problem

Postby rt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:48 pm

The Steam version should auto-sync the last profile you played from a previous computer to your current computer. You may have to go to the options menu in Clones and choose the profile from the drop down if it wasn't auto-selected. You can check if the file exists by looking in My Documents\Clones\Profiles. Let me know if this helps!
rt
Developer

Postby FunkyTable » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:00 pm

I checked in the files and there is nothing in the profile folder. It is empty.

When I boot up the program on the new windows 7 computer it asks me for a user name and password. Originally, I put the username and password that I used on my Windows XP computer into this and the program created a new profile that steam would not cloud save over for some reason. I don't know if that reason was that the cloud save wasn't working at all or it just refused to replace the profile under the same name, but it didn't work none the less.

I deleted all local content and the files buried in the windows 7 profile data and reinstalled the game. Now I don't know what to put into the login screen to keep this from happening. I have to create some login, should it be the same login I used on my XP computer or something different so I can get to the options menu?
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Postby FunkyTable » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:06 pm

What's really odd is I installed two other steam games on the new laptop and the cloud save features worked without a problem, I don't know why Clones didn't work.
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:02 pm

When Clones starts up you can enter any name you want for the profile, you can always change the name and password on the Options screen. If there are no files in the Profiles folder that might mean that Clones cannot access your My Documents folder. Does you Windows username use unicode characters?

You can send/post the contents of Client.txt and Server.txt to help us debug the problem. First start the game, then open the Options screen and change a setting, then click "OK" to exit back to the main menu and then quit the game. The files can be found here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log
rt
Developer

Postby FunkyTable » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Throwaway is the name of the account I created to get to the options menu. Still no sign of the profile I want that should be in the steam cloud: FunkyTable

Client.txt

Game Version=130, Product Id=4
Path set 16
Couldn't read window position..using defaults
Adding Resource: Data\resource.dat
Adding Resource: Data\resource01.dat
Resource loaded 546
Resource indexed 687
loading paramfile.. 687
loading graphics.. 858
d3d is hard and hal
loading fonts.. 1061
loading cursors.. 1061
loading language.. 1061
loading sound.. 1061
loading player profile.. 1436
loading console.. 1436
loading keyboard.. 1451
loading mouse.. 1498
Found a mouse [Mouse] : Mouse
loading network.. 1514
loading controller.. 1514
loading landscape.. 1514
loading clones.. 1514
loading traps.. 1529
loading cursors.. 1529
loading particles.. 1545
loading keybindings.. 1545
Loading profile [Throwaway]
Set FullScreen Mode
Saving profile to C:\Users\STEPHA~1\DOCUME~1\Clones\Profiles\Throwaway.xml
loading items.. 3682
all initialization complete..
Game ready 3916
Saving player profile [Throwaway]..Saving profile to C:\Users\STEPHA~1\DOCUME~1\Clones\Profiles\Throwaway.xml
saved
Failed to open download local file Ads\demo-ad-01.jpg
Saving player profile [Throwaway]..Saving profile to C:\Users\STEPHA~1\DOCUME~1\Clones\Profiles\Throwaway.xml
saved
saved
saved
Destroying Window....
Set Windowed Mode
saved
Steam Destroy....
xmlCleanupParser....
fileManager....
FM1
FM2
FM3
FM4
CoUninitialize....
protobuf....
[night falls, and once again peace fills the land....]
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Postby FunkyTable » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 pm

server.txt doesn't seem to exist on the Windows 7 Computer. But it does on the XP computer. So I think the problem is probably got something to do with the settings on the Windows 7 computer. If you think it will help I can post the XP computer files too.

The Windows 7 computer has whatever is default to Windows 7 and Norton. I would just blame the antivirus and firewall, but somehow Defence Grid and Plants Vs. Zombies synced with the cloud without a problem.
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am

On the XP machine try opening the Options menu in Clones and ensure your real profile is selected, then change one setting and click OK to save and close. This should flag your profile as "needs to be synced" so that when you exit Clones Steam will upload to the cloud. When you start it on the W7 machine the profile should come across. You can also try manually copying the profile data from the XP to the W7 computer, and then try making options changes and see if it is reflected on the other machine.

I'll do some testing between my computers, maybe our cloud is having a thunderstorm and short-circuited :shock:
rt
Developer

Postby FunkyTable » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:41 pm

I'll try tonight, I really appreciate the help.
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Postby FunkyTable » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Still doesn't work. I'm going to try to download the game onto another W7 comp, but I won't be able to do that for awhile, like a month. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
FunkyTable
Clones Newbie

Next

Return to Installation