Clones won't work on Steam

Help installing Clones onto your gaming machine

Clones won't work on Steam

Postby Booj » Sun May 08, 2011 11:58 am

I bought Clones in December and played to the end of January, then I stopped playing for a while. I tried to start it up yesterday and it immediately crashes after the green CLONES start screen comes up. I tried verifying integrity of game files and a file is missing. Steam downloads it, but the file is still missing if I try verifying again. I also tried reinstalling but it doesn't work either. I haven't changed anything on my computer either. Has anybody else had this problem and know a solution?
Booj
Clones Newbie

Re: Clones won't work on Steam

Postby rt » Sun May 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Try the "Delete Local Content" option in Steam to uninstall the game, then manually remove the following folders on your computer:
1) My Documents\Clones
2) (Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\

Then re-download and install the game. If this does not fix the problem then right after the crash please post a reply and attach the following files: Client.txt, Server.txt from
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Log\

If the game starts up you should be able to choose your old profile from the options menu because that is stored in the Steam Cloud.
rt
Developer

Postby Booj » Sun May 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you for a quick reply, your advice led me to the problem. My sega saturn usb controller was somehow messing with the clones start up. I unplugged it and the game works now.

P.S. Thanks for making such an awesome game. :)
Here is the client text if it helps
success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\My Documents\Clones\Movies..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Previews..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\My Documents\Clones\Screenshots..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Thumbnails..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Updates..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Avatars..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\My Documents\Clones\Packages..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\My Documents\Clones\Level..success
Making Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Booj.BOOJ-CD38579CDB\Application Data\Clones\UGC..success
Couldn't read window position..using defaults
Adding Resource: Data\resource.dat
Adding Resource: Data\resource01.dat
Resource loaded 672
Resource indexed 719
loading paramfile.. 719
loading graphics.. 828
d3d is hard and hal
loading fonts.. 860
loading cursors.. 860
loading language.. 860
loading sound.. 875
loading gamepad.. 1094
Found GAMEPAD DEVICE [USB Gamepad] [56AC750-C1CB-11DF-8001-444553540000]: USB Gamepad
Found GAMEPAD DEVICE [Twin USB Network Gamepad] [6605E830-100C-11E0-8001-444553540000]: Twin USB Network Gamepad
Found GAMEPAD DEVICE [Twin USB Network Gamepad] [66085930-100C-11E0-8002-444553540000]: Twin USB Network Gamepad
Creating Pad input 0
Booj
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks for posting your solution! We used to support a gamepad for local splitscreen multiplayer, but that feature is no longer available. We will remove detection of gamepads to prevent this problem in the next patch.
rt
Developer

Return to Installation