View the objectives of a level - In Level

General gameplay issues and ideas

View the objectives of a level - In Level

Postby Kirp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:51 pm

I have left many a game just to check the objectives of a level. It would be handy to have a button somewhere to press to bring them back up. If it already exists, maybe it should be easier to find.

P.S.
******POSSIBLE SPOILERS******
The level Ship Crash is rather unclear on the objectives. I made it to the end without using the lift, or attacking the ship's panel, but I did destroy the 2 purple generators(they may not be required?). It wouldn't let me finish the level until I went back and destroyed the ship's panel (under the sand, between some clonium). Very unclear level, and the on-screen in-level text isn't very clear either. Thankfully this level is not on the main path to the boss. Perhaps this level needs better objectives, seeing as how you can leave without doing certain things but then the level will never end (I also tried hitting the invisible switch on the lift (as in, the lift was still in the top right, and I did not attack the lift panel). I also destroyed the stuff that is under where the lift moves too, and that did not let me clear the level.

I tried destroying the ships panel my first play through, but I did not see anything to alert me to an incoming change in the level, so I went back to my checkpoint =(. Big waste of time.
Kirp
Clones Player

Re: View the objectives of a level - In Level

Postby CCX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 am

I think you actually might have found a bug with blasters. I just remembered having the exact same problem you had during beta with that level, but back then there were also issues with checkpoints, so I chalked it up to that, didn't bring it up, and eventually forgot about the problem completely.

I've just tested now in the level editor with a simple level, using a similar setup to make the blasters fire themselves (autostart proximity trap, and then one blaster triggers another one upon firing), but have nothing intentionally put into the level that would require you to shut off the blasters (in fact you can't) to win. I found that if I do that, the tst level will never end even when all clones are beamed up. Or even if you just go supernova. The fact that level can't even end when you go supernova is pretty strong indication that this is not intentional behavior.

-----------------

P.S. incidentally, my current rank #1 solution for "Ship Crash" actually ends up only skipping one of the usual objectives. One major problem with skipping the panel shutoff is that it effectively cuts off most if not all viable routes above ground, and I think even without the blaster bug, that made me wound up spending more morphs than my current solution. But that was 1-2 months ago and with a level this complex, undoubtedly I might've overlooked something (not to mention I learned new stuff since the last time I did that level). If you manage a better solution with skipping the panel shutoff, good for you and let's hope they can fix the bug soon. 8-)
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby Kirp » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 am

CCX wrote:The fact that level can't even end when you go supernova is pretty strong indication that this is not intentional behavior.

Yeah. I tried to end that way too, and it just kept playing with no clones on Ship Crash.

CCX wrote: One major problem with skipping the panel shutoff is that it effectively cuts off most if not all viable routes above ground

Yes, but I learned a great deal about how to travel upward through difficult ground. Plus, I thought it was just a stepping stone.
Kirp
Clones Player

Postby tom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Kirp wrote:I have left many a game just to check the objectives of a level. It would be handy to have a button somewhere to press to bring them back up. If it already exists, maybe it should be easier to find.

No, there is no screen to display the objectives of the level after the level starts. I thought about adding this in a while back, but I figured it wasn't really required. I'll put this on the "wish list".

Regarding the "Ship Crash" level, the level doesn't end if the blasters are still going because the logic checks to make sure that no particles or fireballs are moving before ending the level. Seems like this isn't a good end level criteria, so we're going to have to adjust it. I agree that the objectives in "Ship Crash" can be made a little more clear. We'll take a look at it again.
tom
Developer

Return to Gameplay Help