Timestamp CheckPoint Idea

General gameplay issues and ideas

Timestamp CheckPoint Idea

Postby Kirp » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I think it would be great if there was an easier to way to remember which checkpoint I want to load. Sometimes they take a while to while to load. I think just a simple time stamp under the checkpoint # (1,2,3,4) would make my CLONES! game much more enjoyable. I don't think the day or year is necessary.

I'm usually trying to figure out which checkpoint is my most recent, my oldest, or just 2 checkpoints ago. It starts out easy to manage, but gets rather complicated sometimes.

examples below. (nearly wiped out by white space erradication forces)

__________ . . __________ . . __________ . . __________
|. . . . . . .| . . |. . . . . . .| . . |. . . . . . .| . . |. . . . . . .|
|. . .1. . ..| . . |. . .2. . ..| . . |. . .3. . ..| . . |. . .4. . ..|
| 12:45pm | . . | 11:01am | . . | 12:37pm | . . | 1:37pm |
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ . . ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ . . ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ . . ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Thank you
Kirp
Kirp
Clones Player

Re: Timestamp CheckPoint Idea

Postby Kirp » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm

A second idea is to allow each checkpoint to be lockable. As in you can right click it or something to "lock" it, so you can't accidently or forgetfully save over something you want to keep.
Kirp
Clones Player

Postby rt » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Do you think the timestamp of the file should be displayed, or the elapsed time since the start of the level? For example, if you save a checkpoint 30 seconds after starting the match then the text in the checkpoint button would be "00:00:30". Then if you save again at 42 seconds it would be "00:00:42". Since you might save multiple times within the same minute you could still have the same problem of not being able to identify which checkpoint is which unless you include the seconds too.

What do you think?
rt
Developer

Postby tom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Other ideas to help recall the proper checkpoints:

1. Store a screenshot of the level at the time of the checkpoint. The screenshot appears when you mouse over the checkpoint button.
2. Right click on the checkpoint button to add/edit a user comment. This comment appears as a tooltip.
3. Add the date/time of the checkpoint file to the tooltip. Also add the time from the start of the level to the tooltip.

Basically, the idea here is to provide multiple pieces of information that will help the player try to remember each checkpoint.
tom
Developer

Postby Kirp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:33 am

Good to know =)

Thanks You Tom
Kirp
Clones Player

Return to Gameplay Help