The future of Quantum Loop

General gameplay issues and ideas

Re: The future of Quantum Loop

Postby Simon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 pm

I was rather quiet during the discussion here, but I think that this is the best approach towards the chosen goal. CCX's concerns are valid though... want to see how it plays out!

geoo's action replay implementation idea is very nice, I'd be happy to have it like that.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Has anyone had a chance to test out the updated QL experience? Each of the puzzles has one more Qdot so if you can solve it you'll get 1st place until a more optimized solution is posted.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, I got a little miffed when I found out (though I supposed I should've expected it) that even for levels where my existing solution does not have decoherence, I can't just replay the last group, because I think the old solutions do not record any positioning information, and so the game would think the old solution has decoherence even when it doesn't.

But other than that, I haven't run into any decoherence issues yet when playing levels completely from scratch. I was wondering whether it would be confusing for someone to run into the error about decoherence because it isn't really explained in the game, but then on further thought, with the current system where replaying an earlier group automatically erases moves from later groups, I think one would have to really go out of his way to try and execute a decoherent solution, so the lack of explanation on that topic is probably okay.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Yeah old checkpoints for QL levels may not function. We try to make our changes backwards compatible but in some cases it cannot be helped.
Decoherence (and QL in general) will probably be a bit of a surprise to new players but we hope the GUI now provides enough hints so that it's clear what is expected and what is forbidden.
rt
Developer

Postby geoo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:15 am

I've played a few QL levels now (Freefall, The Narrows and Spacey), and I didn't feel like I had to replay things more than usually.
Optional action replay (that stops if I click somewhere) if I re-play the same group that I just played would be nice, though it wasn't in prior to 1.28 either.

When I successfully complete a level without playing all groups, I still get the message that there's one group left to be played. Might be useful if the player wants to improve the amount of saved clones or something, but I think usually I'm done when I solved the level, even if I haven't played all groups.

Unrelated minor note: Clicking on the 'rankings' button after solving 'A bit of mold', it leads to 'Bats'.
geoo
Clones Player

Postby rt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 am

geoo wrote:When I successfully complete a level without playing all groups

Which levels can you solve without playing all groups? Please attach or email your solution.
rt
Developer

Postby geoo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I solved 'The Narrows' only using two groups (It's my favourite level, though it seems that I've been finding simpler solutions each time after having forgotten my old solution, so it's slowly losing a bit of its charm), and 'Spacey' using only red and yellow and skipping the purple and write group entirely.

Solutions attached.
Attachments
Playbacks_Spacey_Narrows.zip
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
geoo
Clones Player

Postby CCX » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Also IIRC, some of the easy--I mean early, ones like "quantum looper" and "apex" don't require any morph assignments on the group you need to save, thus that last group doesn't need to be played.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby CCX » Tue May 10, 2011 5:53 am

Recently I've been playing quantum-loop levels again thanks to LittleBrother42's excellent level pack. I've run into 2 issues (v1.29), one minor, another a possible bug:

1) I'm almost sure this has come up already in this thread, but it'd be good to have a "clear selected" button in addition to the "clear" button right now that clears everything. "clear selected" is useful for when you decide you haven't played the groups in the correct order, but don't need to abandon all groups. For example, maybe you played A, B, C but then realizes you want A, C, B. Right now, to reset without losing A, you can select B to replay, then immediately restart (which has the effect of erasing B, and dependent C, without recording anything for B), and then finally select C to play (since nothing was recorded for B, the game correctly recognizes that C will depend only on A and not on B). So possible, but something you'd have to figure out yourself. A "clear selected" button would allow you to do the same thing ("select B, replay, immediately restart") with just a button click, and I think would be more obvious.

2) The quantum decoherence detection seems to act weird when there are light clones and you try to restore a user checkpoint. Specifically, when playing LittleBrother42's "The Collision Theory", try the following:

a) clear all groups
b) select red to play, assign a morph, restart
c) select purple to play, assign a morph
d) make a user checkpoint
e) load the checkpoint

After loading the checkpoint, chances are good that the game will quickly declare decoherence, but it will be complaining that yellow's morphs are affected, even though that's obvious not the case (as you haven't even played yellow yet!).

I tried to replicate this problem on another quantum loop level (no light clones) but can't, so I'm guessing it might be the light clone.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

CCX wrote:but it'd be good to have a "clear selected" button in addition to the "clear" button right now that clears everything.

For a while we did have this button instead of the "clear all" button, but i found it was annoying to clear multiple groups. Especially for maps using more than 3 groups. But then the dependence auto-clear was added so perhaps now it would be not as bad since you'd only have to clear one group and every group dependent would be auto-cleared for you. If that's the case then only a "clear selected" button is needed. Right? I don't want to have 3 buttons on that voice bubble.

a) clear all groups
b) select red to play, assign a morph, restart
c) select purple to play, assign a morph
d) make a user checkpoint
e) load the checkpoint

I was unable to get the decoherence message, either it's fixed in 1.30 or there is something specific that has to be done. Can you provide detailed steps, or attach the checkpoint so i can load it?
rt
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Help