Design issues v1.26

General gameplay issues and ideas

Re: Design issues v1.26

Postby Simon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm

rt wrote:
Simon wrote:#17. Items in the stamps and decorations menus should be ordered [...]

What order would you suggest?

I thought of something like this:
- All clones with arrows together
- All other clone images together, similar images close together
- All clonemaster-specific images together, in the order of the clonemasters in singleplayer.
- All other non-clone, non-clonemaster-specific images together, similar images close together.

Such an ordering should probably be done for clone decorations, too. Those should be ordered by the singleplayer clonemaster order.

Newly gained images should be sorted into the existing list by the given ordering instead of just being appended to the end.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby anobium » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:23 am

#19. In the Roast Ed level "Secret Garden", in the speech bubble that points out the switch with a single guard protecting it, "guard" is spelt wrong.
anobium
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am

anobium wrote:#19. In the Roast Ed level "Secret Garden", in the speech bubble that points out the switch with a single guard protecting it, "guard" is spelt wrong.

Fixed in 1.27, thanks.
rt
Developer

Postby minimac » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:54 am

I'm pretty excited about this new release. I hope you haven't forgotten to fix the copier bug.

http://forums.clonesgame.com/post890.html#p890
I use function keys for each morph. It is much easier for me doing it this way.
minimac
Clones Player

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:45 am

#20. Remove the confirmation for quitting from the main menu. There is absolutely no unsaved data here, nor can other players be kicked due to exiting the game.

It serves no purpose; the time saved (for restarting the game in the one in a million times that the exit button is clicked on accident) doesn't compensate at all for the time lost on deliberate quits (waiting a second and click the confirmation which is in a different location).

#21. Consider something for the end-of-multiplayer-game screen. The big nice quit button is still the only thing to hit, and most newbs do it. Why should a confirmation stop them from clicking the only obvious thing possible?

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Simon wrote:#20. Remove the confirmation for quitting from the main menu.

#21. Consider something for the end-of-multiplayer-game screen. The big nice quit button is still the only thing to hit, and most newbs do it.

#20 - Done.

#21 - Yes, some players do click that button, despite our efforts to make it obvious that it will disconnect them from the server. We added that button because the "Menu" on the upper right was not clickable, but perhaps we should make it clickable and remove the button from the multiplayer EOM menu.
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:52 am

The clickable regular menu sounds like a good idea. That menu is always there in any game mode, so they should know about it. [Esc] or some other obvious hotkey should open that menu during EOM.

#22. It appears useless to me to queue spinner on a spinner. All he does is waste a morph when he hits his head. Spinners shouldn't accept this morph for their queue.

In other regards, should a multiplayer host, admin, or both of them be capable of forcing other players to just spectate? I've had several occasions where newbs just clinged to whichever team I picked, even if there was nobody else to play as a team against. The server will then get listed as having already 2 players, which isn't what I want. I'm a bit hesistant when it comes to booting players... unsure whether I should do it more ofen.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby tom » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Simon wrote:#22. It appears useless to me to queue spinner on a spinner. All he does is waste a morph when he hits his head. Spinners shouldn't accept this morph for their queue.

I can't reproduce this. Queuing a spinner on a spinner isn't allowed, unless I'm missing something??

Simon wrote:In other regards, should a multiplayer host, admin, or both of them be capable of forcing other players to just spectate? I've had several occasions where newbs just clinged to whichever team I picked, even if there was nobody else to play as a team against. The server will then get listed as having already 2 players, which isn't what I want. I'm a bit hesistant when it comes to booting players... unsure whether I should do it more ofen.

Good point. There are two possible solutions:
1. Add an option to only allow admins to choose the group on behalf of all players.
2. Add a per player option to only allow admins to choose the group that specific player.

Or I can add both options...

What do you think?
tom
Developer

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:54 am

Yeah, I can't queue spinner on spinner either. I hadn't tested it before I posted it here. What happened was that one newb wasted all of his spinners. He somehow managed to queue them, also the head-hitting sound played twice in succession.

The testing led me to a bug instead. When you use future queuing on a spinner and the future instance has hit his head and falls, the future instance will constantly alternate between spinning and falling, hitting his head against air all the time and playing the sound. It's not possible to queue spinner to the future instance, even when it's falling.

The option that allows the host to pick all team assignments sounds nice. It's a non-chaos way to assign spawn positions when there are more of them than players (Octogame).

More thoughts on the EOM screen: It already has a ``players'' button at the bottom. You could just add the exit button down there. Keep the confirmation on exiting. The space in the center of the EOM screen which has now lost its large exit button might get a text info ``Wait for the host to restart/select a level.'' The pulldown menu in the top right isn't available in the game lobby (just before match) either, so I don't think it's the most natural place for the exit command in EOM anymore.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Simon wrote:The option that allows the host to pick all team assignments sounds nice. It's a non-chaos way to assign spawn positions when there are more of them than players (Octogame).

I had a similar idea, i wanted a button to "auto-distribute" players across all groups to prevent bunching. Although maybe a host-force would good as long as there is a message "<name> has been placed in the <color> group by the admin"

More thoughts on the EOM screen: It already has a ``players'' button at the bottom. You could just add the exit button down there. Keep the confirmation on exiting. The space in the center of the EOM screen which has now lost its large exit button might get a text info ``Wait for the host to restart/select a level.''

Yes i like that idea. Smaller exit button, and a large message telling the player to wait until the server chooses a new level, or press ENTER to chat.

Also, player names are now listed in the in-game server browser in 1.27.
rt
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Help