Clones crash bug

General gameplay issues and ideas

Clones crash bug

Postby 92Dexter11 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 am

I was playing online on the downloadable level 'Buccloneers' when clones crashed. I assumed it was my old laptop, but when i joined again, the same thing happened. As far as i know, the crash was random and i had done nothing that might have triggered it. i don't know whether it was clones fault or just my own computer. Any ideas on what happened?
92Dexter11
Clones Player

Re: Clones crash bug

Postby rt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Were you joining a match in progress, or one waiting at the group selection menu? Do you have that map installed? Can you load that map if you start your own server?
If you could email us your Client.txt and Server.txt files it would help us track down what might have triggered it.

Client.txt and Server.txt should be in:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Log\
rt
Developer

Postby 92Dexter11 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I joined a match in progress. He was playing by himself, so he restarted for me. Clones crashed about halfway through the game. I have the level downloaded. I don't know how to email the client or server files.
92Dexter11
Clones Player

Postby CCX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:45 pm

rt wrote:If you could email us your Client.txt and Server.txt files it would help us track down what might have triggered it.

Client.txt and Server.txt should be in:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Log\

Maybe it's a good idea to consider building in the ability to send crash data directly in the game instead of having the user try and find those files? I'm imagining for example the user reruns the game after it crashes, the game detects the crash through the leftover files, and then displays something like "It looks like Clones crashed the last time you played it. We can try and collect some information to help us identify and fix the problem, is that okay? Yes/No"
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby 92Dexter11 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

I have clones on Steam, when I went on properties --> verify integrity of game cache, a file was corrupt (or something along those lines) and re-downloading that file produced the same error. I don't know whether it's just me or not. I'm not sure if this is causing the crashes though.
92Dexter11
Clones Player

Postby rt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Interesting idea to code in a crash detection check. The log files are typically small so it's feasible to send them to our main server. Have to think about this one.

The Steam error about that one file is apparently normal. All Clones users have it, i believe it's due to the install script packaged in our Steam depot file. It shouldn't cause any problems. I'll try connecting to a one-person match in progress for that map and see if i can reproduce the crash. Thanks.
rt
Developer

Return to Gameplay Help