General Tips and Tricks for chasing Records

Discuss techniques, tactics, and timing

Re: General Tips and Tricks for chasing Records

Postby rt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Pandaroc wrote:Ah thanks rt. Btw do you guys have an IRC Channel or just the XMPP Chat?

I'm on the ClonesGame XMPP chat server most of the time, i check the lobby often.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Not sure how I feel about this, but I just found out that if you turn off "Particle Effects" in Options, SuperNova will complete faster (I think because it normally waits for the explosion particle effects to finish), potentially leading to a faster level completion time.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby tom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm

CCX wrote:Not sure how I feel about this, but I just found out that if you turn off "Particle Effects" in Options, SuperNova will complete faster (I think because it normally waits for the explosion particle effects to finish), potentially leading to a faster level completion time.

You are right about this, but I think it would be really difficult to exploit. First, when you lose clones, you get a lower score, so you want to avoid nova in the first place. Secondly, you can always nova any doppeled clones before the final objective is complete. But theoretically, a puzzle can be constructed where turning off particle effects will allow you to get a faster complete time. The easy fix would be to end the level at the same time as if particle effects were turned off.
tom
Developer

Postby geoo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:47 pm

I would guess that CCX is referring to 'Doppel Duty', because iirc he and Pandaroc were tied for the best time stating that there's no room for improvement left, so when I later played that level I was surprised that beat their time without even trying hard. I've got particle effects disabled (actually in the hope to stop the screen shaking when other players go super nova in MP, but in vain), so that seems to kinda make sense.
I actually think it's applicable to any level where there's clones left that you cannot rescue and that don't get killed on their own either, but the level only quits once there's no clones left on the map.
EDIT: I think it also has an effect on exiting normally (i.e. level quits once the last clone has entered), as can be seen here: http://clonesgame.com/level/digitough
It makes a difference of 0.28 seconds.
Last edited by geoo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geoo
Clones Player

Postby minimac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Pandaroc wrote:5. If you are allready addicted get a lot of Coffee and have some break from time to time. Seriously...make a break. Sometimes you overextend your efforts and don't see the tree in the woods :D

I don't drink Coffee. Any substitutes for a coffee which I can drink?
I use function keys for each morph. It is much easier for me doing it this way.
minimac
Clones Player

Previous

Return to Competitive Cloners