Linux rumor

Clones News, Press Releases, and Rumors

Re: Linux rumor

Postby tom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I did a bit more testing of Clones under Wine and here are my observations:

Use Wine 1.2.x for best results. I found that Wine 1.3 doesn't work well with the videos in the game and just hangs there.

Install winetricks package, and install the gdiplus component in winetricks. This dll is required for Clones to write jpg and png files (for custom avatars and level previews).

Install Clones using the standard windows installer. Upgrade to the latest version by unzipping the updated files (zip file provided in previous post) in the Clones install folder.

You should be good to go! Let me know if you've had success with this or not.
tom
Developer

Postby Frenezulo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks tom! The patch seems to be working. :D

ps. Aside from the patching issue, I have had no troubles running the retail version under Wine. Cinematics run almost smoothly (they were very choppy in the beta) and Clonemaster levels seem to be working as expected (a big stopping point in the beta, which prevented me from playing it very far).

Have not been playing retail for very long but all is well so far. Just played the first DrillDude and RoboBrain AI puzzles today.
Frenezulo
Clones Newbie

Postby mogorva » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 am

Hello,

I found a way to install the executable containing the patch using Wine. The installer is actually a 7zip sfx archive. You can extract its contents using the native Linux 7z command:
'7z x ClonesDemoPatch_1.27.exe'. You will receive 2 files (apparently ClonesLauncher.exe does nothing under Wine). You can install the patch by
'wine msiexec /p ClonesDemoPatch_1.27.msp'. You have to select the 'Repair' option in the installer. The patch will be installed correctly.
Of course this method is more complicated than just extracting the zip archive that tom provided in an earlier post. It was tested under Wine-1.3.12 and with the demo version of the game.

-----
My biggest problem with the game (I purchased it via Steam) that it frequently crashes (after 5-10 minutes of gameplay) just like reported here:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25617
Does anyone have similar problem with the game under Wine?

Regards
mogorva
Clones Newbie

Postby tom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for posting instructions on how to install the patch in wine. I'm glad that it works! Ideally, I would rather not create a special zip file each time a new patch is released, so this is a step in the right direction. With the information that you posted, I'll see if I can rework the patch exe to make it compatible under wine.
tom
Developer

Postby tom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Here is a zip version of the 1.29 patch that can be installed in linux wine. Simply unzip to your Clones installation directory.
tom
Developer

Postby mogorva » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

Hello,

I'd like to inform you that both the standalone exe updater and the in-game autoupdate function work correctly if you're using Wine-1.3.16 or newer.
I've just tested with the demo (v1.26): updating the game to v1.29 went without issues in Wine-1.3.17.
mogorva
Clones Newbie

Previous

Return to Clones News And Rumors