Clones Quiz

Share level design tips, problems, and solutions

Clones Quiz

Postby rt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

CCX (ranked #1 for singleplayer puzzles) has uploaded a super creative level which plays as a quiz about Clones lore. It's a superb example of how one can create a minigame using the events and triggers available in the editor.

Download here: http://clonesgame.com/node/1243

I was impressed at the quality of the questions (and possible answers) as well as the skippable intro tutorial, the customized messages/animation for some wrong answers, the contextual tips/jokes at the upper right for each question, and the score tracking mechanism. I had to play it over and over to see what all the wrong answers do 8-)

I strongly recommend every Clones player download and play this map!
rt
Developer

Re: Clones Quiz

Postby CCX » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 am

I also still have the "answer key" version of the quiz level, which has each screen laid out in a separate location (instead of all merged into one single-screen area like the playing version in the package). I would post it here for people curious to examine how the level was put together, but the forum thinks 55 KB is too large an attachment. :dead: :| Oh well. ;)
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah i was wondering how you superimposed all the questions in once space. I thought maybe you have created an Assembly for each one. There is a lot going on in the editor on that one.
rt
Developer

Postby tom » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

FYI, I increased the upload limit for attachments.
tom
Developer

Postby CCX » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

"answer key" version attached (zipped since level file itself still too large, while smaller-sized .cpak's are not allowed as attachments). Unzip to extract package, then double-click package to kick off Clones Package installer.

The level filename is different so it won't overwrite the playing version from the package, and the title will be "The (editor) Clones Trivia Quiz Game!" to tell apart from the playing version.

As you can see, it has a much larger level area, to allow each screen to sit in a separate area. The "answer key" version is obviously much easier to edit and is really the "master" version of the level. The playing version is then created from the answer key version by merging all screens into 1, both to create the desired gameplay experience, as well as to serve the side purpose of obfuscating the answers in the editor. :P

There are also terrain and objects duplicated across all screens, that are never actually displayed in the game, to help with layout of things on each screen as well as the merging process, to help ensure some consistency from screen to screen (the questioner's voice bubbles should all point to the questioner without overlapping with him, for example).

The assembly idea is another possible approach. It would scale better to larger number of screens, but may inhibit playtesting somewhat [as you would only be able to test out individual screens until you put them all together, and then you're back to the answer key version].
Attachments
ClonesTriviaQuizEditor.zip
"answer key" version of quiz level, as zipped package
(54.38 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
CCX
Clones Junior

Return to Clones Level Designers