Playing Clones on LAN using same key

General Clones Discussion

Playing Clones on LAN using same key

Postby Bees » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 am

Just a short question: I want to play Clones during a LAN-party in december, but was wondering if it is possible for multiple players with the same clones-key to play against each other via LAN-settings? Not all these people are probably willing to buy the game since they will only play it during this LAN-weekend.
Bees
Clones Player

Re: Playing Clones on LAN using same key

Postby rt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Glad to hear Clones will be taking part in your LAN party! This was where Clones was born and battle tested :)

Each player should have their own key for the following reasons:
1) Ensure full functionality, keys may be disabled if overuse is detected.
2) Support Indie Game Development, we've worked hard to create Clones.

Perhaps we can help you out with a volume discount for the LAN party, email us with your details and we'll see what can be done. Thanks!
rt
Developer

Postby Bees » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for your quick reply and I totally understand your answer. Currently I am stimulating all these people to start playing the game and buy it since I think it is definitely worth it and I agree with you that your hard work should be rewarded. I'll get into touch with you and we'll see what's possible :) It's only about 10 people in total though and at the moment there is a great offer on one of the download-sites to buy the game

Also, I would like to give you a big compliment for this awesome website and the interactive elements you have integrated, stimulating people to do well in the game! Thumbs up :)
Bees
Clones Player

Postby rt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Bees wrote:It's only about 10 people in total though and at the moment there is a great offer on one of the download-sites to buy the game

Recently Clones was one of the games in a large LAN in our home city, it was great fun. A lot of insane desktop machines with colored fans and transparent walls :) We ran it as a 1-vs-1, best of 3 matches, double-knockout format. If your players are familiar with the gameplay then i'd suggest a 2-vs-2 style, it will result in more action for players and spectators also. This way everyone can blame their partner when they lose 8-) Here are some good maps:
- Octogame
- Lurk
- Smores
- Arctic Shift
- Beach
- Crossover
- Crossunder
- Gap
- Docks
- Scorch
- Sky
rt
Developer

Postby Bees » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for the map-advice and the gameplay tips for a LAN :)

It seems that a 2 versus 2 is indeed perfect for exciting gameplay, sabotizing and team-frustration :) I can't wait to also play the 8player map, perhaps with 16 people, Ill upload the video once we got that up and running :)

So far I have had some multiplayer games with a friend of mine, but we noticed some difference in performance. When using Hamachi and Direct IP, the multiplayer works flawlessly, but when connecting via the regular internet, the game seems to slightly perform less (the clones move a bit less flawless). Both our connections are excellent (cable). It wasn't that bad, but I did notice a difference worth mentioning.
Bees
Clones Player

Postby tom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:14 am

Bees wrote:but we noticed some difference in performance. When using Hamachi and Direct IP, the multiplayer works flawlessly, but when connecting via the regular internet, the game seems to slightly perform less (the clones move a bit less flawless). Both our connections are excellent (cable). It wasn't that bad, but I did notice a difference worth mentioning.

In both cases, were you the server (host) or client? What was the ping between the two computers? The pings are shown on the group selection screen (you need to enable the show pings option).
tom
Developer

Postby Bees » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I'll let you know the next time we try it. I will compare all those things both with Hamachi and without Hamachi. Again, I have to emphasize that it is just a slight difference in performance, but it is noticable and if I had to describe it in words I'd say the Hamachi-style has the same gamespeed as a singleplayer-map, while the regular internet connection makes the clones walk less fluently.

Also, our game wasn't registered as a ranked match, although we both have a registered account on the website now and the "CloneStats Match" was enabled. Perhaps because my opponent only registered since that day?
Bees
Clones Player

Postby tom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:01 am

Bees wrote:Also, our game wasn't registered as a ranked match, although we both have a registered account on the website now and the "CloneStats Match" was enabled. Perhaps because my opponent only registered since that day?

CloneStats ranked matches will only work if both players are registered during before the match starts. If one of the players has an X beside their name, then the results of the match will not contribute to the rankings.
tom
Developer

Postby Bees » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:25 am

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to add some kind of message to the CloneStats button. Some options might be:

- A mouseover description as soon as you focus your cursor on the selection button
- A static message as long as someone hasn't registered and has an X. E.g.: One of the players isn't registered, this game will not be ranked for the CloneStats.

At least we never really figured out what the X and the OK really meant, until you just explained it to me :)
Bees
Clones Player

Return to Clones Discussion