Help, can't progress past level!

General Clones Discussion

Help, can't progress past level!

Postby Woofles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:03 am

Before I start with this post I just want to say the games great fun! It's got a lot of unique twists on the lemmings formula that makes it feel both new and reminds me of the goold old days at the same time, good stuff!

Anyway I've run into a bug however (at least I think it's a bug?).

I've been trying to complete the level called "Secret Garden", it's the one where suicidal yellow clones come flying up from below to blow up the paths. I've solved the puzzle itself, but after I beam my 50 clones up, the game doesn't register as being completed, it just sits there, and all I can do is restart.

I've tried restarting the puzzle a few times and beating it again using slightly different tactics, but I keep running into the same issue.

I'll outline my solution for the puzzle incase that's causing issues somehow.

I rush my first clone to the top as fast as I can to flip the switch and stop the yellow clone bombardment, the second clone drills a small hole in the bridge at the start to get all the clones stuck, so I can release them later after the path is complete to get to the exit. The last clone that comes out I use to build a stair over the drilled hole the other 48 are stuck in, and I use him combined with my first clone to build a path mostly cosisting of lots of stairs to the exit. With that path complete, I release the 48 clones in the drilled hole by chomping up. All 50 clones walk to the exit and get beamed up like you'd expect, except the level just sits there and the results screen never shows up. I've even tried using that Mass Nova command to see if that would end the level, but it didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Edit: One other thing I'd like to mention, I've been trying to solve levels optimally a lot to get good scores on the leaderboard, but I've noticed CCX seems to have lots of scores that just seem completely impossible to achieve as far as I an tell. From my understanding CCX is a developer of the game, so maybe some of these scores were set during old versions of the levels? Whatever the reason tho, it seems to defeat the purpose of a leaderboard if there is impossible records on it. On one of the levels for example, CCX beamed up 19 clones and lost 0, nobody else has more than 15, because you only have 15 clones...
Woofles
Clones Newbie

Re: Help, can't progress past level!

Postby CCX » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 am

Check whether you still have any yellow clones left in the level. I just did a quick test on that level and noticed that even when you do SuperNova shortly after the level starts, it only explodes the green clones, and then the level continues on with only the yellow clones and you're stuck.

I think the level should at least stop generating more yellow clones once you've beamed the required minimum of 10 clones, so the only yellow clone left will likely be the one patroling back and forth around the switch. There should be plenty of ways for you to get that clone out of that area beforehand.

I do agree that there's probably something wrong here.

==================

Woofles wrote:I've noticed CCX seems to have lots of scores that just seem completely impossible to achieve as far as I an tell. From my understanding CCX is a developer of the game, so maybe some of these scores were set during old versions of the levels? Whatever the reason tho, it seems to defeat the purpose of a leaderboard if there is impossible records on it. On one of the levels for example, CCX beamed up 19 clones and lost 0, nobody else has more than 15, because you only have 15 clones...

I've rechecked just about all my replays of my solutions that were done before the release version, and with a few known exceptions, they all continue to work in the current version of the game. I'll ask RT to clear the scores for the few levels that have changed enough to invalidate the solutions (just Triad and Wattson if I recall). There aren't actually that many truly old scores, because there was already a wipe of the leaderboards about 1-2 weeks before the game was released.

As for the example you cited, I'm guessing you mean how I beamed up 29 clones in "Heart of Clones"? (spoilers follow) In general, beaming pads will beam up clones of any color, unless the beaming pad was set up as "exclusive" (so that it will only beam up clones of matching color). This is popularly known in multiplayer parlance as "stealing" (a legitimate strategy!), but also works in some singleplayer levels as well. In the case of that level, you do have 29 clones--25 orange clones from cloning chamber, and then those 4 rogue ones that typically drill themselves to their oblivion, but that can be prevented.

If there are any other "impossible" scores that you need some convincing on, let me know and I'll try to give a hint.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby Woofles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks for clearing up that impossible scores thing, if they are just creative solutions to the puzzles then I'll just try harder to figure out how it could be done!

Regarding the issue with my level, I did kill the yellow clone up the top, however there is always a constant stream of yellow clones spawning from the bottom of the map, even after I've pressed the switch and beamed my 50 guys up. (They just go on the springy thing and drown themselves constantly.) So if clearing the map of clones is a requirement, I'm not sure how to go about doing that or if it's intended.

Edit: I just found the cause of my problem, it was because I had the 48 clones all beaming up at almost the exact same time. I loaded one of my old checkpoints and was able to beat the level by making one clone lag behind the rest of the group.

Edit2: I looked through some of the scores and you do have some pretty incredible scores! I still have no idea how you did it in many cases, but it should add that extra longevity to the game trying to figure it out! There's only one question I'd like to ask about it for now tho, Is there ever things actually hidden within the walls that you can't see? I hope It's not required to dig up every last rock on a level just to make sure there's nothing hiding out of view XD.
Woofles
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:45 am

Woofles wrote:Edit: I just found the cause of my problem, it was because I had the 48 clones all beaming up at almost the exact same time. I loaded one of my old checkpoints and was able to beat the level by making one clone lag behind the rest of the group.

I've confirmed that there is a bug in the "Counter" trap used in that level. It's supposed to trigger the yellow spawn points to turn off after you beam up 10 clones, but if you beamed up more than 10 at once then it fails. This is fixed in v1.25. Thanks for reporting!

Edit2: I looked through some of the scores and you do have some pretty incredible scores! ... Is there ever things actually hidden within the walls that you can't see? I hope It's not required to dig up every last rock on a level just to make sure there's nothing hiding out of view XD.

None of the levels (except Roast Ed's 'Sandcastles') have any secrets buried in the terrain. Everything is out in the open. CCX is not one of the developers but is definitely one of the finest puzzle solvers on the planet and provided very valuable feedback during the beta testing phase 8-)
rt
Developer

Return to Clones Discussion