Co-Op Mode

Tips to help advance your journey as a CloneMaster

Re: Co-Op Mode

Postby Ruien » Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 pm

You can freely resize the window by grabbing the edge.

Indeed you can! Problem solved.

(Co-op working over direct-connect)This should be working in 1.29, the default port is 9877

Hah! It does work perfectly. I didn't even check after seeing that I couldn't telnet to 9877 on my externally-facing IP address after forwarding the ports.

In 1.30 it will be a bit tricky to use direct connect for co-op because singleplayer will choose an OS supplied open port, which could be anything. You'd have to open the log file to see which port was chosen.

Right, and having to reconfigure the internally-facing port on my router every single time seems like a big pain.

Is it not possible to maintain the ability to specify the port, perhaps as a non-default setting in the Options menu? This actually makes me question whether I really want to upgrade to 1.30 or not.

A VPN would be easier, like the one i linked to in a previous post.

A VPN isn't really an ideal option because:
    * Hamachi uses central servers, and I live in China. This would increase lag substantially.
    * The increased overhead on a netbook is undesirable.
    * Likely to introduce interoperability issues between windows and Linux.
    * More complicated startup procedure for both client and server
Ruien
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Ruien wrote:
You can freely resize the window by grabbing the edge.

Indeed you can! Problem solved.

We've updated 1.30 to resize the window when a resolution change is detected, it will prevent this confusion in the future.

Right, and having to reconfigure the internally-facing port on my router every single time seems like a big pain.
Is it not possible to maintain the ability to specify the port, perhaps as a non-default setting in the Options menu? This actually makes me question whether I really want to upgrade to 1.30 or not.

We never really considered the case of co-op players over the internet, but in that case it does make sense to have a fixed port. We've made this a variable (singleplayerPORT) you can set if you edit this file in 1.30:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Settings\global_config.xml
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Settings\global_config.xml

Set it to 0 for an OS-assigned port (default), or to whatever fixed port you want and it won't change.
rt
Developer

Postby Ruien » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

Pure genius.
Thanks for everything you have done!
Ruien
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 am

When you have time please try to load those co-op maps that were having checksum errors in 1.29, and if you get the error again please send us Server.txt and Client.txt from:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Log\
rt
Developer

Postby Ruien » Wed May 18, 2011 9:10 am

rt wrote:When you have time please try to load those co-op maps that were having checksum errors in 1.29, and if you get the error again please send us Server.txt and Client.txt from:
(Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\
(Windows XP) C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Clones\Cache\Log\

Alright, sorry for the delay.

I upgraded both client and server to 1.30 and just tested all levels that were giving the checksum error and unfortunately there has been no change. Each gives the same error as before. I also spot-checked other levels that did not produce the error and those levels still do not produce an error.

On the bright side, I can confirm that the <singleplayerPORT> setting is working as intended.

Log files are attached (I don't see anything in here that would be dangerous to share):

Server: (Athlon II X2 250 + Windows XP SP2 (32bit) + GeForce GT 240)
Client: (Intel Atom N280 + Windows XP SP2 (32bit) + Mobile Intel 945 Express)

The server logs show the transmitted checksum, but I'm not sure how to manually calculate this in order to see where the disparity is coming from.

Regards,
Ryan

I can also provide the associated profile.xml files on request, but I didn't want to include them here for obvious reasons.
Attachments
cloneslogs_client.zip
Intel Atom N280 client logs
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
cloneslogs_server.zip
Athlon II X2 250 server logs
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
Ruien
Clones Newbie

Postby rt » Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Ruien wrote:Log files are attached (I don't see anything in here that would be dangerous to share):
Server: (Athlon II X2 250 + Windows XP SP2 (32bit) + GeForce GT 240)
Client: (Intel Atom N280 + Windows XP SP2 (32bit) + Mobile Intel 945 Express)

Thanks again for the thorough feedback. I was expecting to see some warnings in the Client's log files (Intel Atom) but they were not there. The Client computer is using software vertex processing which seems typical of lower end video cards. Either it's rejecting the large textures in a place other than where it's happened before in our engine (where the warning message outputs), or the actual creation of the terrain is not pixel-perfect. It would be great if we had a netbook to test with so we could narrow it down :) Maybe i can dig up a very old laptop to test co-op with.
rt
Developer

Previous

Return to CloneMaster Pilgrimage Help (Singleplayer)