Clonium Buster

Tips to help advance your journey as a CloneMaster

Clonium Buster

Postby Pandaroc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:08 am

Ok i just wanted to know if a "dev" or someone can confirm the Record on this Level. The new Leader Kirp got the Level with 2 Lost and 13 Morphs. 2 Lost is ok, that possible but in order to just get 13 morphs it means you can't touch the white ones with spin or something like that.
In generall it means you'll have to to get past the 2 doppels and make the beampad available with just one detonation and let the white ones walk the normal path.

Actually i can't think of a way with the blacks detonation radius to reach that goal. Perhaps someone else gives it a thinkover or can confirm that this was finished without bug usage (i hate it to accuse someone of that :cry: )

PS: Or is there a trick to get the shooting mechanism let the clones shoot further? Or some hidden secret exit? i think i blew up the whole Level in search for anything 8-)
Pandaroc
Clones Player

Re: Clonium Buster

Postby tom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:21 am

I took a look at the new world record for Clonium Buster by Kirp, and it's valid. It was made on Nov 23rd, by version 1.24 of the game. I don't know how it was done...maybe you can contact Kirp somehow. Unfortunately Kirp is not a registered account name. Best to leave a comment for that level, and maybe Kirp will find it and get back to you.
tom
Developer

Postby rt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:44 am

That is a suspicious score. 13 morphs seems impossible. Need to hear from the record holder.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Note that after you beat a pilgrimage level, the level becomes available in the level editor. So you can always check for things like hidden exits that way. AFAIK there are no trickery of that sort in that level.

As for the record, judging from the length of the solution in terms of time (over 13 minutes), and the fact that the level gives you infinite morphs, I'm wondering if we're seeing a sort of Y2K bug where if the total number of morphs is too big, it incorrectly wraps around back to a smaller number? Like maybe it's really 1013 morphs but got treated as 013 instead (there are other kinds of wraparounds so it doesn't really have to be as big as 1013). At least that would be the most benign explanation. Now, this is just total speculation so please don't go waste your time making a thousand-morph solution (I'm sure rt has easier ways to test this sort of thing if needs be). :lol:
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby Pandaroc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah perhaps it could something like a sort of Y2K Bug. Actually i only came to the Bug conclusion because once i had something like a clone going rampage detonating. I couldn't reproduce it and didn't know what keys i hit, because it was like b for bombing...trying to hit y for the quantum timer and some of the interface windows or so popped up and i loaded to fast to see if this rampage bombing had some effect on the level.

But as RT says, i think i'll have a good grasp of the levels i try and i am pretty used to look at many possible solutions to problem. But this time it just feels...i don't know. I hope Kirp will answere this but as he isn't even registered i doubt it.
Pandaroc
Clones Player

Postby rt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:05 pm

CCX wrote:judging from the length of the solution in terms of time (over 13 minutes), and the fact that the level gives you infinite morphs, I'm wondering if we're seeing a sort of Y2K bug where if the total number of morphs is too big, it incorrectly wraps around back to a smaller number?

Good debugging! I checked the code and sure enough on levels that have infinite morphs (like Clonium Buster) a wraparound can take place with the total morphs used, but it would take a long time. I've fixed that for v1.25, due out in two days. Thanks!

I'll wipe that buggy score just after the release.
rt
Developer

Postby MasterDinadan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm actually friends with Kirp in real life. I was talking to him today and he told me that he got a world record but he thought that the morph count was bugged. I don't think it was intentional, but I'll ask him for more details about how it happened next time we walk.
MasterDinadan
Clones Newbie

Postby Kirp » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Yes, it was a definate bug. I won't go into details on here, because I don't agree with public knowledge of exploits.

If any developers want to see my replay or just learn more details in private. Let me know.
Kirp
Clones Player

Postby Kirp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 pm

I just loaded my testing checking pointpoint, and I confirmed that the morph cap is now set at 257 on steam and does not reset down to 2 any more. So, I believe you may delete my high score with only 2 morphs for Clonium Buster.

Thanks,
look forward to taking it back real soon =)
Kirp
Clones Player

Postby rt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks, that stat has been cleared. Good luck :)
rt
Developer

Return to CloneMaster Pilgrimage Help (Singleplayer)