March 19th Multiplayer Jam

How to host a game and locate others

March 19th Multiplayer Jam

Postby rt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Saturday March 19th is going to be an all-day multiplayer Clones-a-thon. To join in on the fun simply start a server and wait for players to join, or join an existing server and then play until your hands are numb (optional).

If you plan to host matches then port forward 9877 UDP. This is not necessary but it will improve the chances that other players can connect without any problems. For more details read this: http://clonesgame.com/port-forward

We are going to be testing out some new levels to be released in the next Multiplayer Jam Pack. If you've created your own levels then load them up, levels are auto-downloaded when a player joins your server.

Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170482473000822
rt
Developer

Re: March Multiplayer Jam

Postby CCX » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:41 pm

I finally decide to give it a try, but I can't even seem to do chatting in game!
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby CCX » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:52 pm

also I think the computer I'm using has a bug, the wireless connection keeps dying out after about 20 minutes of multiplayer play.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:01 pm

CCX wrote:I finally decide to give it a try, but I can't even seem to do chatting in game!

ENTER is bound to go into chat mode and also send the chat. If you have ENTER bound to something else then it might cause problems?

What did you think of multiplayer gameplay? The co-op mouse position feature?
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 pm

The problem I have w/ chatting is that I can type in a message but can't seem to send it out. Do I press ENTER to send out the message?

[EDIT: remapping doesn't seem to help, again I can go into chat mode but pressing the same remapped key doesn't seem to send out the message]
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby CCX » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:11 pm

despite sucking at it (but that's expected), multiplayer is fun and a nice change of pace. I still have looong ways to go before I get more proper defense and offense strategies though.

[edit: time to cook and eat for me, I'll be back in an hour or so......]
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby CCX » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:56 am

Looks like the jam ended, oh well. But I think I have some info on the "can't chat" problem I ran into.

It seems the laptop I'm using today doesn't really have a "RETURN" key, at least not according to Clones. :P When I tried remapping the chat key back to what I thought is RETURN, it shows up in Clones as "NUMPADENTER".

It also appears that while the chat key remapping works for going into chat mode, it does NOT carry through to the key used for sending chat messages out. It looks like the game still expects RETURN for sending out a chat message, even if you remapped it to something else. For example, I'm successful in remapping chat key to F1, and pressing F1 will indeed go into chat mode, but after typing out my message and press F1 the message isn't sent out.

As a result, I can type chat messages but can't send any out, since my messed-up laptop seems incapable of generating RETURN, only NUMPADENTER, while the game only accepts RETURN to send out chat messages, and can't remap that function to another key.
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby MitchellW » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 am

*waves*

I was the terrible player you all beat earlier today :-D

Then I looked up how to queue up morphs in response to changing directions, which should help some.

For getting more people, it might help to announce the jam a little sooner? Also, in my experience organizing online events, setting 2-3 different specific hour-long blocks might concentrate the number of players a bit more?
MitchellW
Clones Player

Postby rt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:40 pm

CCX wrote:what I thought is RETURN, it shows up in Clones as "NUMPADENTER".

Interesting problem you encountered :) So to fix we can either make the keymapped chat key send chat as well as enter chat (F1), or we can accept NUMPADENTER also to send chat. Thanks for the report!
Multiplayer is relentless, i noticed that something you (and many other new players) do is to focus on the result of a situation instead of the source. For example, if your clones have a path with a large fall you might try floating them down, or spinning, or trying to build up a landing area... but in most cases it's best to fix the path at the point that the fall is occurring so that there is no fall. Abandon the clones that fell or make them saboteurs.
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 pm

MitchellW wrote:Then I looked up how to queue up morphs in response to changing directions, which should help some.

Morph Queuing is essential. The Clones Users Manual is full of useful information to help make you a more efficient player: http://clones.s3.amazonaws.com/ClonesGame_Manual.pdf

For getting more people, it might help to announce the jam a little sooner? Also, in my experience organizing online events, setting 2-3 different specific hour-long blocks might concentrate the number of players a bit more?

Good ideas! Next time we'll try to announce earlier (5 days?) and note a few specific hour-long blocks for people to target. I got some good feedback on the new levels for the next Jam Pack and will hopefully be posting them in a week or two.
rt
Developer

Next

Return to CloneMaster League Play (Multiplayer)