Hosting a Game problems

How to host a game and locate others

Hosting a Game problems

Postby Lenty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,
Having real problems hosting a game. I've forwarded my ports and checked that that is working using the port forward part of utorrent. I don't have a firewall other than the Windows Firewall - which is allowing incoming connections to Clones. So why, whenever I host a game, can my friends not join?
I've checked the details in direct connect and given those to my friends, yet this does not work either?
Are there any suggestions? I've joined games in progress that other people are hosting and these work fine.
Lenty
Clones Newbie

Re: Hosting a Game problems

Postby tom » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 pm

The port forwarding instructions is only required when using the "Direct Connect" method. In this method, the host enables port forwarding on port 9877 (UDP), then the clients (your friends) connect to your server by clicking on the "Direct Connect" option and typing your IP and PORT.

Most likely, the reason why your friends can't join (when using the Server Browser) is because your windows firewall is blocking incoming connections (the server browser uses an alternate protocol to establish connections that isn't dependent on port forwarding). Try temporarily disabling the entire Windows firewall and see if it works. If it doesn't help, then most likely your router is one of the few that is incompatible with the ICE protocol that Clones uses.

There are plans to improve the reliability and probability that a network connection succeeds, and this will be made available in a future patch. Perhaps after one of these future patches, you will be able to host multiplayer games without problems.
tom
Developer

Postby DjinnGuru » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:29 pm

Just curious, Lenty, have you tried giving your friends your IP address and having them join using the "direct connect" button?
>>>DjinnGuru<<<
DjinnGuru
Clones Player

Postby Lenty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Yes I've tried direct connect:
I've checked the details in direct connect and given those to my friends, yet this does not work either?

I have completely switched my firewall off (although it was correctly setup) and that did not work.
Is there a list of these fail routers? Both me and my friends (three independent different routers) have failed so that's a bit lame. For the record my router is a variation on O2-TG585v7 v4.
Lenty
Clones Newbie

Postby tom » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Direct Connect method should work in all cases (any router that supports port forwarding). The IP and PORT number that you give to your friends must be your public IP (ie. your router's IP), and the public PORT number.

For example, if your computer's local IP is 192.168.1.1 and your public (external) IP is XX.YY.ZZ.VV, you would setup a port forward for 9877 (UDP) from XX.YY.ZZ.VV to 192.168.1.1

You then tell your friends to connect to XX.YY.ZZ.VV, port 9877.

Is this what you are doing? Perhaps you can try doing a direct connect from a computer on the same network to eliminate any router port forwarding issues?
tom
Developer

Postby minimac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:40 pm

I received a problem with a notice which crashed my hosting server twice while I was in the middle of playing multiplayer. :upset: The notice says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: ...m files\steamapps\common\clones\Bin\Clonesgame.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Is there any way to fix this problem so that the message doesn't pop up again?
I use function keys for each morph. It is much easier for me doing it this way.
minimac
Clones Player

Postby rt » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Please send the following files to info @ clonesgame.com, they will help us narrow down the problem (Windows 7):
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\Client.txt
and
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Clones\Cache\Log\Server.txt

Note that the AppData folder is normally hidden, so you might have to enable viewing hidden folders.

(Windows XP):
C:\Documents And Settings\{username}\Appilcation Data\Clones\Cache\Log\Client.txt
and
C:\Documents And Settings\{username}\Appilcation Data\Clones\Cache\Log\Server.txt

Send these files right after the crash happens, because when you start Clones again it will clear the files. If you've already restarted since the last crash then try hosting multiplayer again and if you get a crash then send the files.

This might be due to older versions of the game trying to connect to your server, but normally this isn't a problem.
rt
Developer

Postby minimac » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:51 am

rt wrote:Please send the following files to info @ clonesgame.com, they will help us narrow down the problem.

Do I have to send an email to do this? I'm confused as to where you send it. :?
minimac
Clones Player

Postby tom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:56 pm

minimac wrote:Do I have to send an email to do this? I'm confused as to where you send it. :?

Yes, you need to send an email to do this. Just find those two files listed above and email it to info@clonesgame.com. Once we receive it, it will help us narrow down the problem.
tom
Developer

Postby minimac » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:50 am

tom wrote:
minimac wrote:Do I have to send an email to do this? I'm confused as to where you send it. :?

Yes, you need to send an email to do this. Just find those two files listed above and email it to info@clonesgame.com. Once we receive it, it will help us narrow down the problem.

Thanks for that reply. I forgot to say that I've found the files, and will send the email via the link you've shown. :)
minimac
Clones Player

Return to CloneMaster League Play (Multiplayer)