April/May Multiplayer Jams And Tournament

How to host a game and locate others

Re: April/May Multiplayer Jams And Tournament

Postby rt » Tue May 10, 2011 1:18 pm

We have been informed that remote entry into the Clones Tournament will not be permitted. The even coordinators felt the timezone issues could pose a problem and the event is designed for LAN play. Sorry to those who were interested, i tried :(

Don't let this prevent you from playing online this weekend though, we might even have 1.30 out by then.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Let us know how the turnout was for the tournament. Hope you have a good time! :)
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 am

CCX wrote:Let us know how the turnout was for the tournament. Hope you have a good time! :)

20 players entered, it just ended now (1:30am). It was a lot of fun to watch new players learn the game in the heat of battle! We may post some playbacks on YouTube.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Mon May 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I have nothing to add here for now. I just need to post something, in order for that eyesore of malicious spam posts to no longer be on top in the RSS feed. ;)
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

I never saw the spam posts, but we did get a few spam emails claiming that 1.30 had a virus in it.
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Thu May 19, 2011 12:25 pm

During the recent LAN tournament it became obvious that in order to co-ordinate an event like that there must be a lobby where all players can wait and communicate so that the admin can let players know who is supposed to play whom and when. The software used at the tournament was LanHUB which worked pretty well for the most post, despite some usability issues.

In order to help co-ordinate an online tournament i was wondering if there is anything we can modify in Clones to make it more tournament-friendly. Currently i suppose we could use the XMPP chat server for players that use it, but maybe there is a better way.
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Thu May 19, 2011 12:56 pm

- IRC :)
- Jabber chatroom, and maybe make the game client capable of using the chatroom.

The main problem this game faces is obscurity, and also a fragmented player base. It's really hard at the moment to get a multiplayer game without deciding on the time in advance. Making an in-lobby Jabber client might remedy this somewhat at the central node where everyone goes through. People who do not want to keep the game open can use any proper instant messenger to connect to the chatroom.

The fragmented player base is mainly due to Steam (which OTOH has helped to make the player count grow by a large portion) and the non-upgradability of pirated copies (though willingness to play online is likely lower for these). You guys already do a lot against obscurity.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Thu May 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Simon wrote:It's really hard at the moment to get a multiplayer game without deciding on the time in advance.

Hmm, perhaps we should have a page on this site where players can indicate when they will have a server going, and/or people can check off a box so that they are notified via email when any new server (or only servers with players they choose) is started? I would like to relieve an IM via the XMPP when a new server is started.

Making an in-lobby Jabber client might remedy this somewhat at the central node where everyone goes through. People who do not want to keep the game open can use any proper instant messenger to connect to the chatroom.

This is also a good idea, by being in the chat room they are signaling that they are available to play a match. We could maybe have a one-click launch like clones://serverID=4 from the chat client.

The fragmented player base is mainly due to Steam (which OTOH has helped to make the player count grow by a large portion)

How does Steam fragment the player base? Both the Steam and non-Steam version can play together and servers from either one are visible to both. The forums are fragmented, but that is unavoidable.
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 pm

rt wrote:a page on this site where players can indicate when they will have a server going

This might work, but I'm unsure about whether this is the proper way to go at this time. This might be better as a later addition to another way of communication.

rt wrote:people can check off a box so that they are notified via email when any new server (or only servers with players they choose) is started?

Email is probably too slow, even for people who check email inboxes several times a day. Servers don't stay up for long if nobody joins within several minutes.

rt wrote:How does Steam fragment the player base? Both the Steam and non-Steam version can play together and servers from either one are visible to both. The forums are fragmented, but that is unavoidable.

Yes, the methods of communication are completely fragmented. Steam users get forums, instant messaging, and peer management directly from their DRM application, which renders the Clones site and Jabber server less interesting for them.

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby clones » Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm

I think the simplest way to manage notification of planned multiplayer games is to have a single forum thread that people can subscribe to (and make it sticky). Right now, for every multiplayer jam, a new thread is created and so the members that posted to previous multiplayer jam threads aren't notified.
clones
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to CloneMaster League Play (Multiplayer)