April/May Multiplayer Jams And Tournament

How to host a game and locate others

Re: April/May Multiplayer Jams And Tournament

Postby rt » Thu May 05, 2011 5:22 pm

geoo wrote:If there's one level I'd recommend to be included, then it's definitely Cage (or its successor Rage

This is a great map for pros, but it's too difficult for beginners. I think keeping the game mode consistent for the entire tournament would help newer players. Although i think having a Rage-Only Tournament would be a great idea for a future cash tournament, once there are enough high level players to combat the infamous 42 second route.

In that regard, I remember you suggesting to record a video of the 42-second route to that level with Simon. I'd love to, if I get recording to work and someone uploads it to YouTube

Follow these steps to record a video: http://clonesgame.com/recording-videos. Depending on your computer the game is playable while recording is taking place, although i normally make a recording from a playback so i can control the zoom and panning.

Hausdorff

Yes! That is a great competition map. Perhaps a good map for quarter-finals, i'd like the semis and finals to be slightly larger maps so there is more time to enjoy watching.
rt
Developer

Postby rt » Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 pm

CCX wrote:Do they get some prep time beforehand to learn about the controls, and if so, how do we expect them to do so?

Players who have pre-registered for the event receive a free copy of the full game to practice with. Although from what i understand most of the entries will be people who just show up at the event and sign up for anything that looks interesting (read: giveaways and cash prizes). For that reason the full schedule will not be known until the day of the event, so i presume there will be at least a few hours, if not a whole day to prepare with on-site assistance. I haven't worn the Clones tee-shirts in a while :)
rt
Developer

Postby Simon » Fri May 06, 2011 2:22 am

rt wrote:I haven't worn the Clones tee-shirts in a while :)

When are you going to sell merchandise anyway? :D
to fund the FLOSS version of the game

-- Simon
Simon
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 am

Simon wrote:When are you going to sell merchandise anyway? :D
to fund the FLOSS version of the game

As soon as possible! Our priority right now is the multi-language retail version, but i'd love to get some shirts, plushies, CloneMaster Posters, etc. added to the Clones Store.

Tomorrow during the noon (CST) jam i'm hoping to see some of the players entered in the tournament, so if any of you join in please try to go easy on them for a while 8-)
rt
Developer

Postby geoo » Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 pm

rt wrote:This is a great map for pros, but it's too difficult for beginners. I think keeping the game mode consistent for the entire tournament would help newer players. Although i think having a Rage-Only Tournament would be a great idea for a future cash tournament, once there are enough high level players to combat the infamous 42 second route.
Yeah, I see your point there, it doesn't play like a normal Clones map but needs specific strategies.
A Rage-only tournament sounds like an awesome idea! :lol:

Follow these steps to record a video: http://clonesgame.com/recording-videos. Depending on your computer the game is playable while recording is taking place, although i normally make a recording from a playback so i can control the zoom and panning.
Ah, then I can just dig my replay folder for one of these. (Now having the replay length displayed would come in handy. ;) )
Then I'd send it to you and give you notes where and when to add the commentary?

Won't be able to participate in the jam this time either, as I'm away from noon probably till early morning of the following day (all times in UTC, the only real way to state the time).
geoo
Clones Player

Postby rt » Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm

geoo wrote:Ah, then I can just dig my replay folder for one of these. (Now having the replay length displayed would come in handy. ;) )
Then I'd send it to you and give you notes where and when to add the commentary?

You could send the video and notes to me, but you should consider doing it yourself. Annotating on YouTube is straightforward and more importantly it would be good to hear your thoughts on your matches, you will know exactly when strategic decisions were made and where the turning point was.
rt
Developer

Postby CCX » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 pm

geoo wrote:Then I'd send it to you and give you notes where and when to add the commentary?

I'd love it if you can also just post the replay files directly on the forums. The few youtube videos uploaded so far fails to adequately tell the story of Simon's incredible prowess I keep hearing about, or this "infamous" 46-second route to Cage/Rage. (Indeed, I have to say the youtube videos tend to feature the victories of one particular player ;) more than others--not that I'm complaining, I mean hey, it's that same player who is actually bothering to create and post the videos, so I'd hardly expect any different. ;) ) And speaking of Rage, when will the level be uploaded to the gallery so I have a clue as to what the differences are?
CCX
Clones Junior

Postby rt » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 pm

CCX wrote:Indeed, I have to say the youtube videos tend to feature the victories of one particular player ;) more than others--not that I'm complaining, I mean hey, it's that same player who is actually bothering to create and post the videos, so I'd hardly expect any different. ;)

All of the annotations i've provided were essentially my point of view from the exciting matches i've participated in, winning or losing. I still can't believe me and ttk lost that one Procure The Particle match on "Beach Run"... we seemed to be so far ahead of geoo and Simon but then they made some great moves and we made some bad mistakes and it was over :cry:
It's easiest to annotate when you remember everything that was going on during the match.
rt
Developer

Postby geoo » Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 pm

rt wrote:You could send the video and notes to me, but you should consider doing it yourself. Annotating on YouTube is straightforward and more importantly it would be good to hear your thoughts on your matches, you will know exactly when strategic decisions were made and where the turning point was.
But hat'd mean I've got to register on Youtube, something I've managed to avoid all this time. :dead: Gotta contemplate this a little further...

Ok, I tried to create and upload the package using the ingame option to do so, but after I click to upload it to the Clones site, that status bar completes, and then the game exits. The log shows the following lines (not sure whether they are relevant):
Failed to open download local file Ads\demo-ad-01.jpg
LevelManager.. refreshed 78
Set Windowed Mode
Failed to reset!
geoo
Clones Player

Postby rt » Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 am

geoo wrote:Ok, I tried to create and upload the package......Failed to reset!

Yeah, we've fixed this. Don't upload the package in fullscreen mode, switch to windowed mode first (default hotkey BACKSLASH) and then upload the package. If that fails you can use the secret upload page to upload the package file directly (My Documents\Packages).
rt
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to CloneMaster League Play (Multiplayer)